Change your name

Use this form as the account holder to change your name.

You can use this form if you need to change your name for the following reasons:

  • You’ve recently married or Divorced.
    (If you are informing us that your name has changed because of a divorce or separation, and one of the account holders involved is moving home as a result, please contact us).
  • You’ve changed your name via Deed Poll
  • The spelling of your name is currently wrong
  • Change of company name. If the Company number has also changed, you’ll need to contact us so we can create a new account.

If you want to add or remove a name from your account, please complete our ‘Moving’ form instead.

What you'll need

  • Your Welsh Water account reference number This can be found in the top right corner of your bill, on your My Account dashboard, or the reference on your payment if you pay by direct debit.
  • Your personal details You will need your date of birth, email address and contact number.
  • New name Details of your new and previous name.